Subject: [Leica] M3 Eye Relief Question
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:05:36 -0500

Thomas,

I'm so far behind reading the list, that this has certainly been well
covered by now, but here's my take.

I have an M2. I wear not very thick glasses and my eyes are not deeply set,
two things that make people's experiences differ. For me, the 50mm lines
are comfortably seen and with a little peering around, I can see well
outside the frame. That's the single most valuable thing about this sort of
camera - you can see what's coming into view before it's there, or easily
see the effect of stepping back some more, and on the M2 it's better than
the M3.

The original reason I got a M2 after trying out the M3 was to use a 35mm
lens. I have to move my eye around a lot to see the sides of that frame.
Between that and inaccuracy of the frames, I usually get more on the film
than I'm aware of in the finder. No complaint - I'm often glad about that
and don't mind cropping at all. Purists will suffer.

Anyway, I think the M2 is better for the 50mm. I bet a lot more .72 cameras
were sold than the others. (Anyone really know?)

Best -

Carl