Subject: Re: [Leica] Project Hipshot edit results
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:17:37 -0500

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 05:54 PM, Martin Howard wrote:

>> Your distinction between 'select' and 'edit' is phoney baloney.
>
> Excellent.  Why?  Why is "editing" no more than a selection?  And, if
> it is so, how come it is called "editing" and not "selection"?
>
> Is there a similarity between editing text and editing pictures, or is
> editing pictures (culling pictures) completely different from editing
> text (culling, addition, and re-arrangements of textual elements)?

the distinction is phoney because the intent of each editor should be
clear from the selection of pictures. To require a verbal statement of
intent would be to beg the question. Also, at least half of the editors
sequenced their pictures deliberately. Editing is a more nebulous
enterprise than you want it to be. Rather than continuing this dispute
I strongly suggest you attempt your own edit and try to communicate a
particular intent WITHOUT telling us what it is.

- --
John Brownlow