Subject: Re: [Leica] flash photo
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:22:32 -0500

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 05:35  PM, Frank Farmer wrote:

> Ok, this is a bit astray from the present string, however, I would
> love to
> know more about the Metz flashes.  I use a SF-20 sometimes but would
> love to
> bounce the flash sometimes.  My question:  by "leica adaptor" do you
> mean an
> apparatus that connects the actual flash unit to the camera's hot shoe
> that is
> independant of both the flash unit and the camera or do you mean
> something
> more integrated like the changable bottoms that changed the Nikon
> SB-16A into
> a SB-16B?  I have no Metz dealer locally to help me out on this one so
> haven't handled any of the flashes about which I hear so much on this
> group.
> Thanks in advance.

I think John Collier basically answered the question, but in terms of
form factor, the Metz TTL adaptors are designed to fit into the base of
the unit -- replacing a generic module that ships with the flash. At
least that is how the 3502 adaptor works on my Metz 32 series unit. It
is a nice unit, but unfortunately just about all these types of flashes
make an M camera too top-heavy if used on the camera. John's suggestion
about the Nikon or Contax cable for the SF-20 is a good one. I
personally use the Contax one as it is a little shorter and not quite
as heavy.

The Quantum adaptor for their T2 Q flash fits into the hot shoe and has
a little dial on it that allows you to dial in plus or minus
compensation. It connects via a proprietary multi-pin cable. Believe
me, a Quantum T2 is not something you'll be mounting on top of an M
camera :-). It is nice when used on a stand with an extension cable or
via wireless TTL using Quantum's new Freewire units. It is also
suitable for umbrellas or small softboxes, and can be used as a
barebulb unit simply by removing the reflector.

I have both a Metz and the Quantum T2 and use them fairly frequently
with my R8, but have never had occasion to use them with the M cameras.

Rolfe
- --
Rolfe Tessem		|	Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com		|	96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029	|	New York, NY 10014