Subject: Re: [Leica] re: taking photos of muslim women
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:38:00 -0800

Emanuel Lowi offered wisely:
 "taking photos of muslim women"

> Over many years I've made photography of Muslim women in the Middle East
my
> speciality. There is one essential trick to doing this: take photos
without the
> menfolk around! Women everywhere are generally flattered by having their
pictures
> taken. It is their male relatives that object (and sometimes for good
reason).

> Spend time getting to know the people and be honest with them about your
motives and
> purpose. Hit-and-run photography in an Arab country is liable to get you
your film
> taken away, your equipment trashed or yourself bodily harmed. It's all in
the
> relationship you've established which precedes that click of the
shutter.<<

Hi Emanuel,
It's called being courteus to other people. Take your time and fit in as you
do.

Look guys and gals this isn't any different than shooting the Calgary
stampede!  The first time I shot this great western event I stayed dressed
like an eastern city slicker and I stuck out like a thumb just hammered by
a wooden tent peg driver!

Then it became clear... look like them and they will cooperate!  Bought
western shirts, jeans, and a black cowboy stetson! :-) Hey I looked like a
mean mother bad guy! :-) Just needed a couple of six shooters, "we can't go
in a gun shop and buy those in the this country!"  So I went with a couple
of Leica's strapped to my side. ;-)

And surprise of surprises, the picture taking became a piece of cake, access
to locations were open that had been closed 24 hours earlier. :-) It's so
simple, be kind and fit in and they will let you shoot pictures. Is that so
difficult to understand?

Smile and don't look like some fugitive out of prison, clothing wise, nor
facial expression!! If you look like you are cheating and sneaking pictures
you are going to be perceived as a thief of images! Don't go there, leave
your guilt trip, at home and look and emanate ..... you are supposed to be
there. And smile again!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant