Subject: RE: [Leica] As The World Turns
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:12:30 -0500

I think that Starbucks (tm) project that BD's student worked on was
really interesting for the fact that the camera was known about and yet
the images still had a candid feel to them... perhaps candid is not the
right word, the images seemed to capture *real* moments. I learned a
great deal seeing those shots.

Cheers,

Dave

- -----
Dave - For some bizarre reason there seems to be a common belief that if
people know you have a camera, and are taking photos, you won't be able
to get "real" "candid" photos. I find that if you're relaxed about what
you're doing, and you are spending some period of time with your
subjects, they will - with rare exceptions - relax and forget that you
are shooting them.

Take a look at any documentary photo book - say Eugene Richards' Cocaine
book, or, for that matter, Ted Grant's doctor book, and you will see
completely candid photos, taken under some pretty amazing circumstances
- - with the subjects well aware that photos are being taken. Or at least
where the subjects were, at one point, aware that photos were being
taken.

B. D.