Subject: [Leica] Taking photos of Muslim women was As The World Turns
From: Håkan Dennersten <hd@hd.pp.se>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:20:12 +0100

> BD and others.... the custom in Morrocco is to charge
> tourists for the right to take pictures of their women.  If
> possible to charge for pictures of their kids, , men , etc.
> Custom is a rather loose term as it is neither law, religion,
> nor legally allowed.  It is just what they do.

Well that is simply just not the whole truth. It is a possibility that they
acted like that in the tourist areas.

After 15 years, travelling in my work in muslim coutries, 3 times in Morocco
i would advice you all to always ask first before you try to photograph
muslim women. You could end up in real trouble doing that.

Islam is forbidding pictures of people. The general understanding of this
forbid seems to be that it's related to the praying room. If anybody has
been into a Mosque they have seen that there is nothing, just calligraphy
art. There is a nice theological term for that which i just forgot....

Taking photos of men have rarely been a problem for me so i guess it's a
general protective attitude for the women.

/HD

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Taking photos of Muslim women was As The World Turns)