Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: what do you shoot in the wintertime?
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:40:43 -0800

Patrick Jelliffe wrote:

>> Agreed.  But why do models never smile?
>>
>> M.
>

> It really hurts after years of only pouting, and the
> clients don't want them to--Unless you are LL Bean,
> Sears, et al.

Actually, I think it goes back to the objectification issue mentioned
before.  The non-smiling, blank, posed, perfectly lit, smooth-skinned
beauty, bereft of all individualistic detail (such as smile lines)
reinforces the image of inapproachable (yet superficial) perfection,
objects of desire out of reach of mortals.  The perfect canvas onto
which it is possible to project whatever emotion, sentiment, or fantasy
the viewer cares to.

And perhaps that's what fashion is all about: the conjuring up of that
alluring, just-out-of-reach sensation of minute-fresh style, a
half-mirror to reflect a superimposed image of a noveau-you, sandwiched
together with the latest non-descript superficiality of unattainable
perfection.  It's desire, with a "best before" sticker slapped across
it.

M.