Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Verichrome Pan 120 film
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 23:46:38 -0500

I just bought 60 rolls of it today locally, and I can tell you that the
price is already about 50% higher than it was in July.  The dealer, who
wouldn't sell any more (he stashed a couple of hundred rolls for his
own use), said that basically he was getting whatever he asked for the
film.  There are apparently quite a few hard-core users of it.

I remembered it nostalgically from when I started with my Autocord, and
that's why I sprung for what is probably a 2-year supply of the stuff
(I usually use TX120 and TXP120).

I called Kodak today about having more made, but they said that (1)
unlike paper, where they will basically make anything you want for a
price, film is limited to changing sizes of existing products;  and (2)
that there is no direct Kodak equivalent to VP (they said that Plus-X,
TXP and TMY have similar, but not quite as pronounced, highlight
separation).

I'm actually kind of ticked that they made VP in every format except
35mm.  It's a really fantastic film, albeit somewhat slow (for
medium-format, and its true speed is closer to 64/80 than to 125).