Subject: [Leica] Re:Leica and Sears
From: howard cummer <cummer@netvigator.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:55:08 +0800

At 07:05 PM 1/6/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:33:22 -0500
>From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Sears
>Gary,
> > Maybe you don't know this, but I recall seeing an old sears
> > catalog in which
> > they actually sold Leica M3 cameras!
>Naw.  I won't believe it until I see a certified original, original Sears
>catalog ;-)
>Austin

Hi Austin,
I have an original Sears Canada camera equipment catalogue from 1958 where
they sell Leica M3's in two versions with different 50mm lenses for about
C$250 - 300 each, depending on the lens, as well as Tower and Nikon
rangefinders. Given that a new North American car was about C$3 - 4,000
(I'm guessing here - maybe older timers can help me out on the actual
price) these cameras were pretty expensive. Of course this was a long
forgotten era when the C$ was about equal to the US$. This catalogue is in
my Canadian storage and not readily accessible, but I really do have it and
will share a copy with you, with pleasure, when I finally get to it. :-)
Cheers
Howard (in Hong Kong)