Subject: Re: [Leica] Why fashion photography sucks
From: Patrick Jelliffe <pbjbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:55:46 -0800 (PST)

- --- Emanuel Lowi <mano@proxyma.net> wrote:
> I too find the whole fashion and fashion photo
> business highly offensive. Its
> practitioners are the most potent arm of the
> marketing of overpriced useless trinkets
> (something none of us Leica users know anything
> about, eh -- we whose expenditures
> stem from our totally rational needs).
>
> While there are still millions of children in this
> world who own no shoes, the idea
> of the expense and trouble expended to get folks
> over here to spend a thousand
> dollars on some piece of cut and stitched flimsy
> material is utterly sickening.

You could sell your Leica gear,  buy a Yashica T4 and
the surplus  money could buy hundreds of pairs of
shoes for those same children.

People involved in the fashion industry,
photographers, models, designers, make choices,
(including the kid from Canada, looking for his big
break).  The victims are the seamstresses in
sweatshops in the developing world who make
substandard wages in poor working conditions. We
choose to buy expensive equipment, and part of the
enjoyment we get from using a finely made mechanical
item is akin to the enjoyment some get from
wearing/looking at couture. Yeah, we could all use
Arguses and Weston meters, and use the money for a
"better" purpose.

I don't deny there is exploitation involved; of
workers and the self image of many women. But we chose
to look at ads and buy periodicals and buy the
clothing advertised within. If you don't like it,
don't look at it, don't buy it, and teach you children
values that matter.   There's a bit of envy involved
in criticizing fashion photographers, no?  They're
making a living shooting film/digital images, which
some of us on this list, (me included), wish they
could do.  Maybe it's a grey area morally, but
empirically, whose job isn't?  Mother Theresa's?
Jimmy Carter's?

The patron and the artist have been inextricably
linked for millenia. Contemporary fashion photography
is an extension of that lineage.

Patrick