Subject: Re: [Leica] user leicameters
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 01:07:33 -0500

I have a relatively large collection of Leica meters, ranging from the
early Weston model through the LC60 and on up to a couple of MR-4's.  Here
are some tips on these guys:

First, selenium meter cells are really rugged and generally maintain their
strength for decades or centuries.  However, they are subject to failure
from becoming damp through failure of the cell's sealing, and they require
a relatively complex mechaincal linkage which, also, can become a-gley
through knocking or bumping or the like.

Second, selenium meters have a rather large acceptance angle, which is why
older photographers are sometimes seen 'waving' a meter over a subject to
get a general response.

Third, selenium is the material which most closely matches the response
pattern of most modern films.  Thus, with its many limitations, a selenium
meter will generally provide quite accurate results.

Fourth, boosters for low-light use were produced for use on the
Leica-Meter, the Leica-Meter 2, the Leica-Meter 3, the Leicameter M, and
for the Leicameter MC.  These are generally quite easy to find, though the
Leica-Meters themselves can be as elusive as a Swift 831 3" refractor.

Fifth, the original MR meter works quite nicely on an M2 or M3 but will
crimp your fingers when attempting to rewind the film on an M4 or later
camera body.  That is why the "MR-4" was introduced by the factory --
though note that neither Leica nor the manufacturer, Metrawatt AG of
Nürnberg, ever called it such, listing all MR meters by that simple moniker.

Sixth, the MR and MR-4 meters will work perfectly well with a silver-oxide
cell, though the mercury cells are still being made in the Orient and are
not that hard to find.

And, as John pointed out, George Milton at Quality Light-Metric repairs all
of these puppies (he has overhauled my Weston Leica-Meter and my LC 60,
along with a number of later meters).

I have an MR meter on my M3 at present, and it works like a charm.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (Re: [Leica] user leicameters)