Subject: Re: [Leica] Source for 39mm graduated neutral density filters?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 15:18:55 -0800

At 2:55 PM -0800 1/4/03, Tristan Tom wrote:
><<I'm not so sure how a graduated ND filter would work on a rangefinder.  How
>will you figure out how to position the filter to push the just the sky
>back?>>
>

>by looking at the front of the filter and aligning it so that the dark park
>is at the top (or wherever you want it to be). it will still work even
>though you don't see it in the viewfinder.

Since the effect of a graduated filter is also focal length and to a
degree aperture dependant, it's pretty hard to judge the effect
(although I admit to using them at times as well).

With shorter focal lengths, as long as you use fairly soft-edged
filters with a 1-stop gradation you can't screw things up too much.

With longer focal length you can use harder edged filters for similar effects.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com