Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Longevity
From: Tim Smith <tssmith@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:58:58 -0800

David Rodgers wrote:
>About a year ago I was all ready to sell my Leicas. I'm sooooo glad that I
>didn't. I'm back to film. Digital cameras weren't a good fit for me. I
>sometimes wonder I'm alone in that experience.

Well, I'm doing the same, in a way. When I was in France last autumn, I was
constantly wishing that I'd brought my M6 and a couple of lenses, rather
than the digital that I had.

Of course this is an extreme apples to oranges comparison, as my digital is
a point and shoot type (Canon S100), where it's point, press the shutter
release, and wait two seconds for the picture to be taken. I was always
wanting to put a roll of slow B&W film in a Leica, and shoot the marvelous
stone buildings that you find in southern France (Carcassonne, St. Paul de
Vence, etc.)

So my next trip will be with the M6 and two lenses only. I also have a
Nikon F100, but that boat anchor is far too heavy to use if you ever go
more than 100 meters from your car. Should have gotten a decent MF instead.

But when a full-frame digital that takes Nikon lenses, and that doesn't
cost an arm and a leg, is available, I suspect I will be lured into getting
one.

Tim

Replies: Reply from Tim Smith <tssmith@sonic.net> (RE: [Leica] Digital Longevity)