Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: how to move lost of GB between computers
From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:35:35 -0800 (PST)

Nathan,
I've done this a couple of times over the past years
and found the easiest and fastest method to be as
follows:
Take your old hard drive with all the data and make it
a slave drive on your new machine (may require
changint some jumper settings on the old drive, but
most drives have the master/slave jumper settings
pretty well marked). Then boot up your new machine and
simply copy the data over to a specified directory on
your new hard drive. Shut down, remove the old hard
drive and you're done.
You may also want to consider keeping the old hard
drive in your new box as a backup drive. It's a much
faster way to backup and since it's a completely
different physical device, the chances of both drives
dying is pretty remote.
Good luck!
Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
Behalf Of Nathan
> Wajsman
> Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 6:00 AM
> To: Leica Users Group; RUG
> Subject: [Leica] OT: how to move lots of GB between
computers

> During my current visit to Denmark (sadly to end on
Sunday) I have
> purchased a new desktop PC. Now I have the challenge
of moving about
> 15-20 GB of data (mostly pictures) from the old PC
to the new one.
The
> only obvious solution I can think of is to copy the
files to CD-RW
discs
> on the old PC, copy the disc onto the new PC and
repeat the process
> until all files are moved. This is of course a
rather laborious
process,
> so I wonder if there is some easy software out there
which would for
> example allow me to connect the two computers via
the serial or UBS
> ports and just transfer the files directly. I
appreciate any

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: OT: how to move lost of GB between computers)