Subject: Re: [Leica] Birding spot
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 09:34:32 -0700

On 12/28/02 Frank Filippone  wrote:

>There is a location in Northern California that some of you have written
>about to view raptors.. hawks, etc....   Someplace exceptional..
>Can some one please give me the name and appoximate location.....and time of
>year that is best.
>
>Tha

I'm sure that you'll get a precise location, but the I have a birder friend who
came to visit from New Mexico.  We drove from Davis to Woodland and I had to
repeatedly stop so he could marvel at some kite, kestrel or hawk. "You're in a
gold-mine of raptors," he said.

There are serveral large sanctuaries, mostly wetlands though.

I remember going to Grizzlie Island and seeing a tree full of great horned owls
which was pretty neat. Hard to photograph since they were backlite.

When I get back to Davis I'll ask about the location in the East Bay hills that
has a huge population of golden eagles - there's just the right proportion of
native grasslands and trees to support both the ground squirrels and the eagles.

Doug will be on this I'm sure.

Adam