Subject: Re: [Leica] Way Off Topic Hasselblad Xpan Camera
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:54:35 -0600

> Do you find the unusual size of the larger
> negative presents any problems for scanning or darkroom work?

Problems in my darkroom: None. I have 5x7 and 8x10 Durst enlargers and simply
cut a 35mm carrier larger for the new format. The negatives are a joy to print.

Problems in the one-hour-photo lab: Total - can't do.

Problems in the custom lab: Paying for full cut paper size prints when you're
only using half the sheet.

Problems scanning: Yes. You essentially need a medium format scanner. The width
of the negative is actually slightly larger than 6cm. I began to play with
scanning xPan negs with an Epson 1600 and was relatively pleased with the
results. When I acquired the 30mm xPan lens Hasselblad through in an Epson 2450
as part of their 2002 promotions. And this gives me a few more pixels to work
with.

I long for the day when I can afford an Imacon scanner for my medium and large
format films, and the computer power to handle the files, and the printer and
the and the....