Subject: [Leica] New R9 - First Impressions
From: Charles Hehl <chehl@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:05:39 -0500

Hi:

Robert Stevens' recent announcement prompted me to make known some
observations from my recent experience with the R9.

I have had my new R9 (black one) for about two weeks and have put about 5
rolls of film through it. I also have the motor drive unit on mine which
adds significantly to the balance and feel of the camera.

The results of these first few roles confirm that the metering system works
great.  I have used it both in a fill flash mode (using Metz 32Z2) and in
natural lighting and the results were very impressive.  Exposures were right
on, even in fairly strong backlighting. Also, the locking button on the
exposure mode wheel does a good job of preventing inadvertant mode changes.

I am very pleased with my decision to get an R9. However, I was not faced
with an upgrade decision as my other Leica's are M's and an R6.2.  Whether
the added features are significant enough to warrant an upgrade...someone
else will have to answer.

Regards,
Charles Hehl