Subject: Re: [Leica] Friday FS
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:11:22 -0800

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> I think that sellers of equipment of the type listed below owe an
> honest explanation to other LUGgers of why they are selling. After
> all, this is not e-bay.
>
> Did the Bessa R lack that certain feeling?
> Was the Snapshot-Skopar only good for 4x6 snapshot prints?

First of all, what the hell does "equipment of the type listed below"
mean?  If you have any questions about stuff that I'm selling, why
don't you contact *me* *directly* instead of posting a sly message like
the one above to the entire list?

Secondly, if I choose to sell something, I don't *owe* anybody any
explanation of why.  If someone asks me why, I will tell them, but I
certainly do not need to announce to the entire world why I'm selling
something, any more than anyone else does.  And I resent the
implication in the expression "honest explanation" that suggests that I
am in any way, shape, or form trying to sell these dishonestly.

Perhaps it a cash flow problem.  Perhaps I'm selling all my equipment
to go fully digital.  Perhaps I'm tired of overpriced Leica gear and I
want to get into Nikon instead.  Perhaps I don't want to shoot 35mm
film any more, but prefer MF or LF.  Perhaps I have too many cameras
and lenses.  Perhaps you should mind your own business.

Thirdly, the reasons I have for selling equipment are none of your
business.  If you must know, the Bessa R2 (*not* Bessa R) works
perfectly.  It is a very well-built, comfortable, pocketable
rangefinder with a superb viewfinder (better than Leica's IMHO).  It
was bought from Joseph Yao, who has always supplied perfect equipment.
I bought it on an impulse, as part of a package including other items,
but realized, upon getting it, that I don't need another rangefinder
camera.  Rather than bother Joseph with a matter that arises from my
own stupidity, I thought I'd pass on the savings to some interested
member of this group.

The Voigtländer 25mm Skopar is a superb little lens and I've used it to
great effect over the past few years.  I'm selling it because I have
the 15mm, a Russian 20mm, and a Voigtländer 28mm lens.  With this
collection, the 25mm lens falls too close to others and I decided to
sell it, because I'd like to use the others now.  The 25mm lens
produces fantastic negatives and will easily support 16x20"
enlargements.

You, sir, owe me an apology.

M.

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Friday FS)