Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Price increase
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:25:24 -0500

- --On Thursday, December 19, 2002 7:48 AM -0500 "Sal DiMarco,Jr."
<sdmp007@pressroom.com> wrote:

> Friends,
>     For the past couple of days, I've been reading the comments about the
> upcoming Leica price increase and I must conclude the following:
>     1.- Many of you feel the employees of Leica do not deserve an increase
> in salary.
>     2.- Leica AG never has any increases in the cost of doing business.
>     3.- Their suppliers do not have or are not permitted to have increases
> in their cost of doing business.
>     4.- Leica should lower its prices and eventually go out of business.
>     5.- Most of you have absolutely no idea of how to run an international
> business.

I think it's pretty clear that any price increase is a result of the recent
strength of the euro versus the dollar. Less than a year ago, I think, the
euro was worth only 85 cents. Yesterday it was 1.02.

My guess is that Leica, like most international companies, tries not to
readjust prices with every little exchange rate fluctuation, but when it
reaches 15% the company simply has to react.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.