Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Digital
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:29:19 +0800

Hi guys,

being Leica users, i guess we're all sharpness, contrast and detail freaks
in some way or another. but if we are to be truly objective about it, my
opinion is that we should drop all those calculations and all that mumbo
jumbo mathematical stuff....... and just look at the optimised printed
output from both and judge.

that should be the clearest way to see which images are more pleasing to the
eye. Afterall, as photographers, we're supposed to be visual beings, not
mathematicians!

those theory and tests always assumes using ISO 50 film. Does anyone here
shoot ISO 50 film exlusively, even if we have all the fast lenses?? i know i
don't.

An ideal test to me would be to just take a D60 with a Novoflex adapter and
a Leica R film body (to keep this thread in topic). Put similar lenses, say
a 50mm Summicron R. Shoot the same scene at ISO 100, keeping framing and
magnification the same, tripod, cable release and all.

Bump up ISO now to 200. repeat.
Bump up ISO to 400. repeat.....to 800, 1000.....

Another interesting set of tests is to shoot with ISO 1600 or 3200 - for the
D60, shoot with the same settings and then "push" the image in Photoshop.
.
make 13 x 19 prints, mix them and show them to different pple in the
different ISO sets, and ask them to pick the ones they like. That's your
ultimate film vs digital test.

Has anyone done such a test? it should be quite interesting!

Boon Hwee