Subject: RE: [Leica] digital results
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:18:36 -0500

I only asked my question because -- like many here, I suspect -- I am resisting going
digital with all my Leica-inspired strength. So the French report causes me trouble.

I have no doubt that a 6x6cm Hassy image is technically "superior" (please, let's not
get into semantic wanking now) to a Leica image. Yet during the past year as a
magazine editor I've had to handle many digital and traditional images and the
distinctions are starting to get, er, blurry. Once we start talking double-paged (11
x 17") layouts on glossy paper, film has been holding the edge. The new Canon's
performance seems to suggest that fact may no longer be dependable.

Then there was the conversation I had with a prominent Canadian photo editor last
week who said: "If you aren't carrying a digital camera and a laptop,  don't bother
me. We won't handle film any more."

Fine detail IS very important and it's what always distinguished Leica-lensed images
from the rest of the herd. And my dearest wish would be, for handling and discretion
and esoteric reasons, to have those 11 megapixels (or whateva) shoehorned into a body
the precise size and shape of an M7 with Leicavit (or Rapidwinder). A person is
entitled to dream.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal