Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 Exposure
From: "Doug Lee" <doug.lee8@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:37:30 -0500

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 10:46 AM

> And you can't seriously be suggesting that "the best way to find out
> what will actually happen is to buy an M7 (for $2400) and
> forget about this nonsense!" - Perhaps discovering after you've paid
> $1000 more than you'd pay these days for a mint m6TTL that the metering
> system won't handle high contrast situations as well as you hoped. Duh!

How does any meter handle high contrast situations without input from the
phtographer? Is the meter in the M7 that much different than any other
in-camera meter? (Excluding Nikon F5s, and evaluatinve metering patterns, I
guess.) My M7 gives the same reading off a grey card as does my hand held
spot meter or my incident meter. (Unlike my EOS-1V spot meter that wants to
read 1/2 stop under-exposure.) After that, isn't it up to the photographer?

Having said that, I will add that my recent experiance with the M7 was
great. At least the expsosures were consistent. My church hosts an annual
Messiah Sing-In (the community is invited to come and sing the Messiah as a
group) and I was asked to take available light photos. Last year I ran
around with an M6-TTL, M2 and a light meter. This year I used an M7 on auto
along with my slr for telephoto shots. This year's expsoures were more
consistent. I used color print film both years.

My two cents.

- -Doug