Subject: [Leica] Lense flare?/reflection?
From: "Doug Lee" <doug.lee8@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:16:41 -0500

Hi all,

This question is on topic, even if it starts out referring to a non-Leica
lense... honest! (:

I took some photos of my daughter building a snowman this past Sunday and
they all have a very faint, dark circular line in the frame. Doesn't matter
if shot is vertical or horizontal. I took them back to the lab and we
confirmed the line is also on the negatives. The wholel roll is not
affected, only those of my daughter in the snow. It was moderately overcast,
not glaring sun on snow and the time was around 2pm witht he sun to my
right, no shadows to speak of.

I was shooting with a Canon EOS-1V, 28-70 f2.8 L lense, Fuji NPH at around
f8  in aperature priority. Also, I was using the lense hood for that
particular lense. I don't have any scans to put up. (That is another story.)
The size of the "defect" is almost a perfect match for the front lense
element. That is, if I take off the filter and lay it on the photo it
matches. It is not vinetting as it appears on the center of the frame, not
the edges.

I have never seen this before. Could this be something inherent to zoom
lenses? Or is this what I get for not using my Leica? The lab guy at first
thought it might be a reflection from inside the lensehood, but after
looking at it decided it wasn't. Nothing shiny in the hood to reflect.

How does this relate to Leica, well, I am trying to justify dumping the EOS
and getting  an R8 to go with my M. (-:

I know having an image to look at would help, but if anyone has any thoughts
I would appreciate hearing them. I know some of you shoot Canons, so perhaps
you have seen this before.

Thank you. Off list comments are welcome, too.

Regards,
Doug

Douglas Richard Lee
Cinnaminson, NJ