Subject: [Leica] refinishing an M2
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:59:54 -0500

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:03:53 -0800 (PST)
> From: Bern DelGado <evilboy1964@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Leica] refinishing an M2
> I had a IIIC painted black by a fellow outside Boston,
> but the paint brassed almost immediately. He also made
> a red shutter for it. I'm not sure if he's doing
> Mbodies. Let me know if you want his email.

That would be Youxin Ye.  How durable the paint job is depends on whether it was one of his earlier or later paint jobs.  His early ones had
the chrome sanded off, and were done with Testor's paint.  The later ones use Testor's as well for colours, but a more durable paint for
black.  And he had these dechromed at an autobody shop.

I don't think that Youxin is still doing these paint jobs, though.

> I hear this place does nice work, check the gallery
> Theres an M6J that was repainted! :
> http://onelovepeace.tripod.com/tertop.html
>
> You could also ask SherryKrauter. She often complains
> about complications & repairs from cameras that have
> been painted. She did mention that there was a spot in
> japan that did a nice job she had seen.
>
> You could also have a repair person dismantle the
> camera, Then have the shell taken to an autoshop to
> dechrome it. Then paint it yourself, or have someone
> else do it. Then back to the repairperson for
> reassembly.

Do this with extreme caution.  The shop that Youxin dealt with eventually was able to dechrome cameras with some expertise.  But he had to
cheaply sell off some early experiments that had badly corroded metal parts due to an overly-enthusiastic dechroming.  Also, painting a
camera without any signs of drips, runs, dust, etc. or properly baking the finish is definitely not a job for an amateur.

Mark