Subject: Re: [Leica] Do I need a 'slim' filter for a 24mm elmarit?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:19:44 -0800

SonC (Sonny Carter wrote:
> What Ted and Doug said . . .
>
> That said, I damaged my 90 tele-elmarit because I was careless, and
> accidentally dropped a ball point pen head point first into the camera
> bag; it fell in a  direct hit onto my front element.   I now back cap
> my lenses when I put them into the bag, (shade on) face down.   Though
> as far as I can see it has had absolutely NO effect on the image.<<<<

Hi Sonny,
In all the years I've only had one front element marked.  Why? Well cause in
this case, because I didn't have a filter on. ;-) However, the mark on the
front element was made from a spark or flying bit from an electric welding
torch because I was stupid enough to work tooooo close the welder.

The 28mm lens had a zit burnt right in the glass, almost dead centre and at
the happening I almost went into cardiac arrest. Every frame from then on
never had a mark or any indication on slide film or B&W that the zit was
there, stopped down or wide open.

I of course for sometime after swore I could see it.... actually it was an
imaginary mark only in my minds eye. I eventually sold and bought a new one
! :-)

And I still don't use a filters for any of the lenses including the Noctilux
of my life! :-)

ted

Message from "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Do I need a 'slim' filter for a 24mm elmarit?)