Subject: [Leica] PAW - Snow over Nagog (or Not the Essence of Where I Live)
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 18:13:28 -0500

Dear Phong,

I like the orchard shots. The first and third are best, seeing them at Web
resolution. Maybe those rocks or whatever, in the lower left of the one you
chose as best, are more interesting than they look on my screen, but the
others are simpler, so I like them best. Between the two, the reproduction
might determine the winner. Number 3 looks best as a jpg. The shadows
cutting across the textured snow and the synchronized lean of the trees,
like dancers leaning back to take a step forward - lots going on and it's a
beautiful photo. Number 1 is more restful, but not to say static. I tried
lightening it and then adding some contrast, which made it nicer according
to my taste. (It also brings up some weird purplish wash in the shadowed
snow.) Seeing the reddish light on the ground makes it come alive.

Pond #1 might have more depth if the contrast was higher. I'd try letting
the trees go darker and see if the snow gets more glow and the sky more drama.

I found a trick recently that has helped make my web images be more
consistent with the high rez scans: If you use another color space for the
image, convert it to sRGB before resizing it. I use AdobeRGB, and I guess
your camera embeds Wide Gamut. Maybe the conversion to 256 colors is better
from sRGB, or something else is going on, but that helps.

Thanks for sharing,

Carl