Subject: Subject: [Leica] Nachtwey in war photographer
From: James Michael Lennon <jim@JMLENNON.COM>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 20:09:36 -0500

I had the opportunity to meet and speak with James Nachtwey for about
30 minutes a few years ago. My impression of him was very different
than the impression Dante Stella got from the film. I haven't seen
the film, so I can't compare my in-person reaction to what I would
have from the film.

Mr. Nachtwey impressed me as a very sincere and empathetic individual
who works for an incredibly low day-rate (especially considering the
conditions). He gave freely of his time to me. And as I observed him
during the day, it appeared to me that he gave his time freely to
anyone who approached him.

Mr. Nachtwey was in town to give a lecture and slide show. After
having seen that presentation, I must say that his book Inferno, as
extensive as it is, merely skims the surface of what he has
photographed.