Subject: Re: [Leica] Sywell Country Park pixel count
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:19:36 -0800

><Snip>
>
> good point but how many pixels would be excessive from a bandwith point of
> view?(and free web hosting)?Recently i tried scanning some very dark scene
> pictures and find that a high rez they have a certain wow factor where they
> show more detail then you remember seeing but at websize they are just a bi
> boring.is that true for basically all pictures that bigger seems more
> interesting?
> brub
> simon jessurun
> amsterdam
>
> --

It is true as you say, animal, that when you go high rez you are in a
such a different ball game but this does not reduce your photography to
the lowest common denominator. It just gives you a peek at the highest
common denominator for when you're in the mood for it. Who knows maybe
someone will give you a sheet of 20x24 (which Jim Brick uses for
proofing) or a 30 by 40 inch which looks good over ANY sofa and will
hide many blemishes on your wall. One finds out it's amazing how good
the images are one from a technical standpoint is taking with ones Leica
or even with ones point and shoot. Those can amaze you too. But it is a
shame to find out years later how poor those images are and that's
surely a shame. A shame because as we know with a little intelligent
acquisitioning* and technique we can be producing quality images from a
technical standpoint with pocketable cameras. And isn't that what Leica
was once about and still could be?

We've discussed this last year on the list as to how frustrating these
smaller images are on the Web and high but better the larger sizes are
on other sites or other forums. Although show me a forum which gives me
a decent image size I've not seen one yet.

The Leica Forum what ever that was gives us a smaller image size than
the typical PAW.

And i certainly have one of my  new year's high resolution to get my
paw's in gear. Make sure my claws are suitably clipped and my pads have
been treated with lanolin. I do have two of them running around my house!

2003. The year of the Paw!

A kinder gentler higher rez Paw!.

*Not in the dictionary but i think it should be!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Message from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Sywell Country Park pixel count)