Subject: Re: [Leica] Is this believable?
From: Bryan Caldwell <bcaldwell51@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:40:21 -0800

On 12/6/02 10:03 AM, "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> You have to break a law to be under arrest, and being
> under arrest requires telling you why you are under arrest, as well as the
> reading of your Miranda Rights...I believe.

Hi Austin,

The above is not correct. Technically you only need be suspected of a crime
to be arrested - whether or not you've committed a crime is a matter for a
jury to decide, not a police officer. And, contrary to a great deal of
popular opinion, there is no requirement that you be given your Miranda
rights. The Miranda rights are required only if statements you make in
response to law enforcement questioning are going to be used against you
(and, even then, there are exceptions). You can be arrested without being
Mirandized.

Bryan

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] was is this believable... now, (or soon to be) "My favorite Buick!" Can scotch be far away?)