Subject: Re: [Leica] Reflex vs. RF
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:59:23 -0800

On Tuesday, Dec 3, 2002, at 13:10 America/Los_Angeles, Douglas Herr
wrote:

> There are some internal differences between the R3-R7 series and the
> Minolta counterparts, but these R bodies aren't as rugged as the
> Leicaflexes
> or the R8/R9.

R8 rugged!??  Oh, how short the LUGs memory is.  I recall when this
camera first appeared.  We're talking, what, three, four years ago?
There were cries from every corner of the world about how its
electronics were not up to par, how it was too heavy, too bulky, lacked
a motordrive, how a number of people thought that it wouldn't survive a
week of hard, professional shooting, and they'd have to pry the R7 from
their cold, dead hands.

A large portion of the people on this list seem to think that the
current generation of R cameras are useless because they are not fully
mechanical beasts, using the best of 1950s technology.  Another large
portion seem to think that the current generation of R cameras are
useless because they do not offer autofocussing, digital backs, or
three-D, colour-sensitive, matrix metering.

Maybe we should start a couple of Quake clans and settle it there...

M.

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Reflex vs. RF)