Subject: Re: [Leica] Some image to look at
From: Per Claesson <per@visimedia.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 02:17:42 +0100

Well, first of all I use a vector mask so I can "paint" away the old
background with black ink, and reversely "paint it back" with white ink
where needed. Then I blurred the mask a bit to blend the figure better
into the background. For fine strands of hair I normally just first
mask off the areas around them, roughly, and then I go in between them
with a brush using shape dynamics and opacity dynamics to make it
partially transparent. In this way I kind of fade them a bit into the
background while painting around them. One can also use the smear tool
at the hair tips to give that hairy feel back if it was lost with the
old background. Sometimes I just blur the hair at the edge and then it
looks like soft, thin hair.

I didn't do a terribly careful job on that portrait though, since it is
just meant to be published in rather small size on a web site. Don't
even know why I posted it here, since it is not very special. Vanity I
guess -- I was just so impressed with the crispness of the hi res scan,
which anyway won't show up here. Anyway...

The background itself, in case you want to know, was made by first
using the airbrush, then the Artistic/Underpainting filter to give it
some texture, then some noise was added and finally blurred a bit.

Per