Subject: Re: [Leica] Light Baffles. was FS: Leica M3
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 11:09:16 -0800

On Sunday, Dec 1, 2002, at 01:59 America/Los_Angeles, Håkan Dennersten
wrote:

> Hehe, i don't know anything about languagehistory but i do know that
> there is only three words we given the english language recently:
> Ombudsman, smorgasboard and bureaucracy...  These three words says also
> a lot about Swedish culture... :)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but bureaucracy does *not* come from
Swedish.  It's etymology is French, from "bureau" for office and
"-cratie", rule (from Old French).  It was designed to prevent what in
Swedish *is* known as "svågerpolitik", or, to the rest of us, giving
preference to friends or family.  Somewhere along the line it went
terribly wrong (as can be witnessed in the brilliant film "Brazil") and
the rest, as they say, is history.

M.