Subject: Re: [Leica] Why Elpro for the 100mm f 2.8 APO macro ?
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 10:30:23 -0800

on 12/1/02 7:39 AM, Henry Ting at henryting10@yahoo.com wrote:

> Can someone give me a lecture on the ELPRO dedicated
> to the 100mm f2.8 APO macro ?
>
> I would imagine getting to a 1:1 ratio, a regular
> extender will give me better performance compared with
> the ELPRO with the additional optics. What do I gain
> with the ELPRO ?

The 100 APO's focussing mechanism is somewhere between front-group focussing
and internal focus.  The lens is optimized for each focussing distance by
shifting some elements relative to others as the focussing ring is turned.
Extension rings can be used but since they change the distance from the rear
element to the film plane, all the fancy optimizing mechanism would be for
naught.  The ELPRO allows closer focus without losing the advantages of the
optimizing tricks, so in this case, the 100 with the ELPRO designed
specifically for the 100 APO will out-perform the lens alone with extension
tubes.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com