Subject: Re: [Leica] This Weekend's Bounty (What size is your pipe)
From: "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:21:41 -0000

Sam,

Like you I use wireless - it is imperative to make sure that you run WEP
encryption there are currently two versions: 64bit and 128bit.  If you are
not running it, then you are at risk of people stealing your bandwidth,
sniffing your inside network or gaining access to your PC's, thereby
rendering the firewall/router totally useless.  My D-Link router supports
128 WEP encryption so it gives reasonably good protection to the inside
network.  The 64 bit version can be cracked pretty quickly with the right
tools - by quickly, I mean minutes on a busy WLAN segment - so be warned....

Wireless LANs based on 802.11b are very good, provided you are aware of the
security limitations of them.

Regards

Mark