Subject: Re: [Leica] lens caps
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:03:06 -0800

On Monday, Nov 25, 2002, at 09:57 America/Los_Angeles, bdcolen wrote:

> But where Leica is really outrageous is in the pricing of little
> pieces of plastic...):-)

Which manufacturer isn't?  I remember some while back there was a web
page dedicated to the Super Rare, High Tensile, Special Polymer that
Nikon supposedly used in "plastic bits" -- the assumption being that,
because of the high price, it couldn't possibly be normal plastic, but
had to be some exotic kind.

 From another page (http://www.photo.net/ezshop/product?product_id=217 )
reviewing Nikon stuff:

> This clever little device [ML-3] is probably among the most expensive
> Nikon accessories for its size and weight (Dollars per gram), but it
> does a lot. The transmitter is ~40g (without batteries), and the
> receiver is ~52g.
>
> That's $1.75 to $2.00 per gram for the ML-3, depending where you buy
> it! Many lenses range from $0.45 to $1.00 per gram. Even a used D1
> (~$1.50/g) is less per gram. Only a brand new D1H or D1X cost more per
> gram (~4.00/gram). I know this is a funny way to look at it, but it is
> scary nevertheless.

M.

Replies: Reply from Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] lens cap(italism)s)