Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "Do it anyway;"still O.T.
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:51:50 EST

In a message dated 11/23/02 11:18:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
steve@icommag.com writes:

> She is a one-off, Toronto 1958 and registered with Lloyd's of London Yacht
>  registry.

I lo-o-ove one-offs! and Lloyd's Registry, terrific! 44 years and still
dynamite. Love it.

>  > Honduras ran out of mahogany decades ago.
>
>  Not true.

I know; I should have :-) on that one.

>Yes the wood forests took a dip for a while, but as boat
>  manufacturers switched to other materials, wood supplies have made a big
>  comeback.

That truly is good news.

>  > It's why Hinckley went to glass hulls.
>
>  Pity. Wood boats have made a big comeback where in places like Maine,
>  Washington and Nova Scotia have a thriving industry.

Dearth of fine, properly cured hardwood was only one reason Hinckley and
other top boatbuilders went to glass. Commerce, the explosion in
boat-building, far easier and cheaper maintenance and the expectations of
newcomers to sailing were the main determinants.

>  Until you have sailed on a wood boat, just like using a Leica, you do not
>  really know what you are missing.

Again, we are in complete agreement. No other material has the tactile feel
of a great wood boat, the sense of fineness, of quality craftsmanship.