Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "Do it anyway;"still O.T.
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@icommag.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 11:13:09 -0400

Seth Rosner writes:

> .....she must be really old;

She is a one-off, Toronto 1958 and registered with Lloyd's of London Yacht
registry.

> Honduras ran out of mahogany decades ago.

Not true. Yes the wood forests took a dip for a while, but as boat
manufacturers switched to other materials, wood supplies have made a big
comeback. There is a whole gigantic warehouse of exotic woods here called
the 'World of Hardwoods' Also, Honduras Mahogany, Phillipine Mahogany, etc,
is grown in many tropical countries.

> It's why Hinckley went to glass hulls.

Pity. Wood boats have made a big comeback where in places like Maine,
Washington and Nova Scotia have a thriving industry.

Until you have sailed on a wood boat, just like using a Leica, you do not
really know what you are missing.

sl