Subject: [Leica] Warm clothes?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:16:30 -0700

The type of clothing you wear to keep warm depends very much on you. I
am a winter cyclist and I have friends who winter cycle as well. Not
one of us uses the same gear as the other. I tend to sweat easily and
copiously so I have to be very careful to vent as much as possible
while still warding off the cold wind. Some of my friends can dress
from head to toe in wind proof down because they do not sweat at all
when they exercise. So here are some pointers that may help:

- - There is no such thing as warm clothes. The only source of heat is
your body and clothes are worn to manage that heat: either to release
it or contain it.

- - Heat loss increases exponentially when you and your clothes are wet.
Moisture management is very important too. Wear a wicking layer next to
your skin and remember boys and girls: COTTON KILLS.

- - If you are working hard, there is no such thing as waterproof
breathable fabric. Goretex et al is fine for minor activity and sitting
around but strenuous activity will require the use of more open fabrics
such as fleece. It can be lined fleece as long as there is somewhere
for the moisture to go (usually the back). In rain open up those pit
zips and back vents.

- - If your toes and fingers are cold no matter how many mitts and socks
you put on then you need to insulate the body core and the limbs out to
the extremities.

- - Your body needs fuel to make heat. If you go outside hungry, you will
feel colder than normal. Snacking is good to keep the fires burning. A
large meal right before you go outside is not a good idea as then your
blood is diverted to the digestive system.

- - The amount of insulating clothes you need depends on your activity
too. You will need to have much more insulation if you are sitting in
- -30 degrees Celsius rather than walking or snow shoveling. Something to
keep in mind if you are going to walk somewhere and then sit outside.

- - Your body can and will adapt to the cold if you let it. Spending all
of your time either indoors or in your car will not let your body
adjust. Going out for walks and turning down the heat in your
house/apartment will help.

John Collier