Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Winter outdoors clothing for photography
From: drb@MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:21:16 -0500

Phong-

I have lived in Boston for several years, and the best tip I can give is to
dress in layers.  I go to MIT, and every year we see freshmen from warm
states/countries who have never seen snow.  They usually go out and buy the
biggest, warmest coat they can.  For the 3-4 moderately cold days each year,
they're happy.  For the rest of the winter season, they're constantly
griping about how they're either too hot or not warm enough.  I'd suggest
getting a nice all-weather coat.  Something right between a windbreaker and
an Arctic parka.

I usually wear a long-sleeved T-shirt, a sweater, and a lined leather
jacket.  In various combinations (and with hat and gloves when necessary),
that gets me through anything from 60F to about -20F.  Beyond that I'm
either in a T-shirt or sane enough to stay the hell indoors.

As far as shooting in cold weather goes, mitten-gloves are the best thing
ever to happen to sub-freezing photography.  Mitttens are warmer than
gloves, but you can't use your fingers to operate the camera...
Mitten-gloves give you the best of both worlds.  I have a pair that I got at
the Army-Navy store on Newbury street for $12.  They're mittens that have a
top flap that flips up and velcroes in order to expose your fingers.  You
stay nice and warm when you're not shooting, and you still have full tactile
control when you are.

I hope this helps!

- --Dan