Subject: Re: [Leica] 1st Wedding assignment --- should I ?
From: "Lea Murphy" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:56:26 -0600

Henry,

I've not read all the replies to your post yet...though I see there are
several. I'll throw in my 2 cents.

You ask an innocent enough question and while I have to say I agree with Ted
that you should run not walk from this wedding assignment, I can also say
that I think you ought to take your camera, take some pictures and see if
it's the kind of work you would enjoy doing. Being an accessory photographer
is MUCH easier than being the main one, yet you get to capture images and
get a feel for how things go.

I did wedding photography 15 years ago and while I never messed one up, I
didn't feel confident at it, either. So I quit and moved on to other
thing...portraits, still life, things like that. Then last year a friend was
getting married in a small intimate, beautiful space but said she wasn't
going to have a photographer. I was blown away. All that work and no record
of it. I don't know how to say it other than I felt in my bones that I
needed to record it. And so I did...with the bride and groom's permission ,
of course. I had agreed to do it at cost if they'd agree to let me get my
feet wet again on theirs. I fell in LOVE with wedding work...in a way I
hadn't been the first time. I was confident like I had never been. Two women
at that wedding hired me to shoot theirs which promted me to do some
advertising pieces and in the last year I've done 9 weddings with 3 booked
for spring 2003.

My equipment is completely different now than it had been the first time
around...I shoot with 2 Quantum T2 flashes with FreeWire radio control
slaves (when flash is required), a slew of lenses, a slew of bodies...from
medium format to the Canon EOS line to my Leica M6. And I've been reading,
emailing others who shoot weddings, checking out the web, going to bridal
shows all in an effort to educate myself.

I guess my point is that you won't know if you're good at weddings and if
you like them until you try it. But you shouldn't try it on a friend's
wedding without knowing if you're good at it. So take your camera, take some
pictures, get the feel for things and go from there. Your gut will tell you
if it's the kind of work you should be doing.

Here is a link to a few wedding images I've done in the past year
http://www.whinydogpress.com/wedding1.html

Good luck...whatever you decide.
Lea