Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 46: My son gets into Warhammer
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:40:31 +0100

My 13-year old son has recently gotten into Warhammer, an addiction
which makes the care and feeding of an early teen a much more expensive
proposition. For the uninitiated, Warhammer is a fantasy game, played
using various armies on a large table with a scenery built on it. The
game is a mix of skill and luck, you can think of it as chess on
steroids (check out http://www.games-workshop.com for more details).
Acquiring the armies is quite expensive; nevertheless, it is nice to see
my son doing something other than frying his brain in front of various
screens. The people who are into Warhammer are quite serious about the
hobby, many are adults, and there are regularly held tournaments. On
Sunday of last week one such tournament was taking place in a nearby
small town called Turgi, and my son was participating.

I have arranged the pictures in a logical order rather than according to
which ones I like best. My personal favourites are actually alternates 4
and 5, but I chose to present the images to correspond to the flow of
the activities.

It all starts in a Games Workshop store like this one on Oxford Street
in London. Here, a store employee demonstrates the game to two newbies,
hoping to turn them into future devotees:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46.jpg
(M6+35mm Summilux on Ilford Delta 400)

The pieces need to be assembled, glued and painted, quite a painstaking
process, on which my son spent the better part of two weeks:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46alt1.jpg
(Bessa R2, 35mm Summilux on Ilford Delta 3200)

But then comes the big day: the first tournament. The games last up to 2
hours, and each player plays 4 games during the day, so it is a tiring
affair:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46alt2.jpg
(Bessa R2, 35mm Summilux on Fuji Press 800)

Here is my son during one of his games; his opponent has just wiped out
some of his army:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46alt3.jpg
(M6+35mm Summilux on Fuji Neopan 1600)

The tension is rising:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46alt4.jpg
(M6+35mm Summilux on Fuji Neopan 1600)

Warhammer is a complex game, and even experienced players need to
consult the rules during a game:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46alt5.jpg
(M6+35mm Summilux on Fuji Neopan 1600)

The armies were being documented for posterity by the organisers:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46alt6.jpg
(M6+35mm Summilux on Fuji Neopan 1600)

The scores are tabulated...
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46alt7.jpg
(M6+35mm Summilux on Fuji Neopan 1600)

...and posted on the wall for the players to analyse and agonise over:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_46alt8.jpg
(M6+50mm Summilux on Fuji Neopan 1600)

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw2002.htm

and comments/critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland