Subject: RE: [Leica] 1st Wedding assignment --- should I ?
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 04:18:37 -0500

Hello Henry,

I have done at least half a dozen of these, and turned down
probably half as many.  The reasons had little to do with photographic
technicalities.  To prepare mentally and emotionally:
Key thing is to set the expectations up front.   Then:
Get a backup of everything (2 or even 3bodies, 2 flashes -  I even
brought along a P&S Contax T2/Minilux), plenty of fresh film,  batteries,
don't bring along any equipment that you are not familiar with.
Use only one kind of film.  Relax and  sleep well the night before.  Be alert on
the big day.   Study the locale(s) in advance.  Learn to use your flash
well even if you don't plan to use it, unless much of the event is
daytime, indoors with lots of natural light.  Study the wedding "programme"
in advance and plan each stage accordingly.  Talk with the officiating
person at the ceremony (priest, judge, etc.) and explain your plan and
learn of any restrictions.  Ask to attend the rehearsal if there's one.
Plan your poses for the formal shots carefully and pay attention  to the
sequence so to minimize moving the people around.  Prepare a shot list.
Above all, keep everything simple.  Then wait for the Gates of Hell to open.
Should you or shouldn't you ?  Can you dance with the Devil ?
You _know_ it will rain on that day, don't you ?  The Devil was having
a bit of fun with me once.   My father died a couple of days before a wedding.
So I shot at the funeral, all in tears.  LOL.  B.D. and  several other Boston
Luggers offered to take care of the wedding.

Re. white gown and black tux, use low contrast film (I use Fuji NPH).
Test it well in advance.

I am not a pro and offer my opinion precisely because I am not blase
about wedding photography.  Though I have done it a few times, every
time is like the first time, with all the excitement and anticipation.  If you
have anxiety about it, don't do it.  On the other hand, it could be a lot of fun.
Good luck !

I love wedding photography, and have been preparing to do it part-time
for pay to help the upkeep of my mistresses Alice and Claire. ;-)

- - Phong