Subject: Re: [Leica] Smiley
From: Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:59:16 -0500

Carl:

Great... I thought that you were ticked off at me.

BTW I've enjoyed your photos of lonely towns in upstate New York.  They
remind me of a trip my family took from Boston to Niagara Falls almost
50 years ago in an old, gray, two-door, 1947 Plymouth.

It took 2-3 days... there was no Thruway and we spent an unending day or
so traveling slowly on a very straight, very long, 2 lane highway
through some place named Cherry Valley.... seemed something like the
Twilight Zone as there was a seemingly unending row of cherry trees, on
both sides for miles and miles and miles.  Some rock n roll would have
helped... maybe Fats Domino singing Blueberry Hill. But we were too far
from any radio station and my folks wouldn't have wanted to hear it
anymore than I now want to listen to Rap.  Anyway, we occasionally went
through towns with buildings like those in your photos. They were just
as worn out looking then.

Are you anywhere near the route of the Thruway between Syracuse and
Buffalo?  There are a few places where the Erie Canal still exists...
well the ruins of it.  Might be a good subject for you.  I'm imagining
icicles hanging off of granite walls and old wooden locks, with maybe
three pink flamingos somewhere in the photo.  You could do this after
you finish your bare trees project! :>)

Jim "in the sunshine now, but unhappily awaiting tomorrow's wintry mix,"
Hemenway