Subject: [Leica] Re: Baseplate pressure preventing shutter release on M2 - HELP!
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:50:20 -0400

Ray:

There is an adjustment for the shutter release under the cover which is at
the base of the camera.  This may be out of adjustment.  It is an L shaped
lever which the taper of the rod connected to the shutter release uses to
fire the shutter.  There are a couple of screws that hold this in
place.  You can loosen the screws and adjust this lever to affect at what
point in the shutter release travel that the shutter fires.  If you go too
far one way, the shutter will not stay open on B, go too far the other way
and it will not fire.  Leica has a special tool that presses the shutter
release the proper distance to facilitate this adjustment.

BTW, this info came from a military M2 repair manual I got on Ebay a few
years ago.  It is an interesting read and shows how complex these M cameras
are.  Lots of specialized tools and equipment needed for their
service.  Really makes you appreciate that a properly done CLA is quite a
good deal considered the work done.  Also convinces you not to attempt to
do your own service.

Regards,

Robert