Subject: [Leica] RE: OT Color Management with PS and Epson - Help
From: "langhans" <langhans@compwrx.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:10:00 -0800

Hi Ernie.

I had a similar problem a while back.  Roy Feldman gave me a lot of help
with e-mail and sites to visit and I was able to get close, but not perfect.
I then got desperate, did a "bad" thing, and it works for me.

Here is what I did.  I know it is not kosher, but it worked.  I fiddled and
fiddled as you did and did not get the perfect results I wanted, so I
decided, in my scientific way, to go backwards.  I loaded a download of a
test print then printed it.  Now, the print did not match the screen,
though it was fairly close colorwise thanks to Roy (not perfect, but good).
I then tweaked the monitor settings so it matched the print.  Now, I went
into photoshop and looked at a file I wanted to print.  Of course, it did
not look the way I wanted it to because the monitor settings were not
correct.  So, using photoshop, I tweaked the file so it looked the way I
wanted it to.  Then I printed it and it turned out just like it looked on
the screen.  So, what I see on the screen, I can get on my printer.

A kludge, but it works for me.  The monitor settings are not too bad for
other things.  It has a slight color tinge, but perfectly acceptable.  That
is why I chose a print that looked fairly good, just not perfect.  I didn't
want the monitor to be way off.  Of course, when looking at other people's
pictures the colors are not perfect.  They are close enough that they look
fine.  I don't have the original to see, so what I don't know doesn't hurt.
If I think about it, I just go back to the monitor default settings and
their photo looks the way they intended (I think).

But I just recently upgraded to photoshop 7, so the auto color gives results
that are off, but they are fairly consistantly of, so a manual tweak of the
color setting is easy.

My system is different from yours.  I am running a PC with Windows 98 SE and
an HP 970 printer.  Photoshop is set to sRGB and the printer is set to the
printer profile.

Now, all this said, I still attempt every once in awhile to get things the
way they should be, expecially since using PS7.  I think I need one of those
screen spectrophotometers, or I need Roy to pay me a visit.

Give it a try.

Aram

This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
destroyed in making it.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher, Naches High School
101 W. 5th. St / P. O. Box 159