Subject: Re: [Leica] Progaganda or no?
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:04:58 -0800

Read it again: "systematic propagation of a doctrine" *is* value
neutral as is the phrase "information reflecting the views and intersts
of those advocating such a doctrine or cause".  It simply describes a
targeted effort, as opposed to a non-targeted one.

"Systematic" means arranged, methodical, purposeful, ordered.
"Propagation" is dissemination.  "Doctrine" is a set of beliefs or
principles.  In and of itself, "propaganda" says *nothing* about what
thoese beliefs or values are, nor in what way the dissemination is
arranged, methodical, or purposeful (other than that it is).

The value-addition comes from whether you accept and believe in the
doctrine that is being propagated, or not.

Alternatively, it could be argued, that the value-addition comes from
the mere fact that it *is* purposeful, methodical, but more
importantly, selective in what gets disseminated, although I would
still argue that the *definition* of the word "propaganda" is
value-neutral and that our interpretation of it as value-loaded comes
from our cultural hertiage.

M.