Subject: [Leica]Leica TM39, 28mm lens alternatives?
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:30:45 -0500

I got your message in the Digest, and see that you've already received three responses.  As is too often customary in this group, you got  unhelpful replies that don't really answer your question and seem to have been sent as demonstrations of the superior knowledge of the respondents than as anything to address your problem.  Here are a couple of alternatives, based on my own experience before I got the money together for lenses wider than 35mm in the proper mount.

1)  buy a Canon FD to LTM adapter.  This will not be rangefinder coupled, but since any lens of 28mm or wider can easily be scale focussed, you won't have a problem.   There are scads of Canon lenses out there, or lenses with interchangable mounts that can adapt to Canon FD.   And, by mounting a bayonet adapter on the FD to LTM adapter, you can also use this on your M cameras.  By this method, I made do with a cheapo SLR 24mm f2.8 lens that did the trick until I could afford something else.

2) get yourself an Olympus XA-4.  These can often be found for around $100 or a tad more.  The camera is as light as or lighter than many 28mm lenses, and comes with a 28mm f3.5 optic.  It also has a modest macro capability.  It really doesn't add significantly to the bulk of your kit than an interchangable 28mm lens.  The performance of the glass on this is, in my experience at least, even better than that of the much-praised 35mm f2.8 on the original XA.  The beauty of this option is that once you can afford a LTM 28mm lens, you can use the XA-4 as a convenient take anywhere camera or sell it for what you paid for it.  Mine is almost always in my pocket.

Good luck and let me know what you eventually wind up with.

Mark