Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V23 #227
From: "langhans" <langhans@compwrx.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 09:14:39 -0800

George

Thank you for your comments.

I am glad to hear from a professional.  Your portraits are very nice, but to
me they look very formal.  Very controlled. I do see what you mean about the
flat lighting on my shots vs the modeling 3D lighting on your shots.  yours
were mostly studio, but do you have any suggestions for shooting outside?  I
am thinking a reflector, if I can get someone to help me out and hold it. I
am also going to look into a bounce diffuser screen to soften the lighting.
But with the light still in the vacinity of the camera (it is not on the
camera, but on a bracket that swings for horizontal/vertical) I suppose this
would still give flat lighting.

As far as backgrounds, I tried to get most of them out of focus by using
larger apertures and moving her away from the backgrounds.  Of course, some
of the shots I have shown are not that way.  I didn't get to scan many of
them before I gave her the negatives.  (Yes, I gave them to her.  Not being
a pro, I was just doing this as a favor for her help as she was my TA.)

 Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Aram

> Date: Fri,  1 Nov 2002 11:27:36 -0600
> From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Comments on portraits, please
> langhanslanghans@compwrx.com (langhans)10/31/025:12 PM
>
> >http://168.212.133.189/wwwpages/senior/
>
> I'm not a fan of "soft focus" especially to the degree illustrated in your
examples, and espcially for the young whose skin usually doesn't require
such "tricks". I believe that portrait photography depends a great deal on
lighting and I find your lighting too flat and boring to bring our the
beauty of the human head (Although every rule needs breaking and I have an
extremely flatly lit portrait on my own portrait web page which I like
especially for it's flatness and how that works with other elements in the
photo). I also find the backgrounds to not add anything much to the
portraits.

> Where am I coming from in my own approach to portraiture?
> <http://www.imagist.com/photo/pg7_portrait.html>
>
> You'll notice in the first and main example on this page that the hair
really blew out in the scan. I need to get back at that one or find a
scanner with the ability to capture the contrast range of the film.