Subject: Re: [Leica] R4 winder questions
From: "Douglas Herr"<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 14:03:35 -0800

> (1) When I get to the end of the roll the motor
> does not automatically reset itself and won't
> work until I quickly remove and put back
> the battery pack.

Sounds like your R4s is due for a CLA

> (2, I suppose - lol) The shutter release on the
> drive seems dirty and doesn't always show the
> shutter speed when pressed.  Is this release
> supposed to lock autoexposure when pressed
> farther like the main shutter release?

I don't think so.  The electric release that plugs into the winder doesn't
"lock" (actually, hold) the auto-shutter speed.

> Also, if anyone knows of anything quirky about
> this drive, I'd like to know.

I found that Winder-R4 malfunctions are often traced to a camera body that
needs service.  Don't over-tighten the thumbscrew holding the battery pack
together unless you have a limitless supply of them.

Doug Herr<BR>Birdman of Sacramento<BR>http://www.wildlightphoto.com