Subject: Re: [Leica] Comments on portraits, please
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:04:46 +0200

Hi Aram,

very pleasant photos, but if you want criticism, it is at the bottom
of the page.
If you do not like criticism, then hit delete button NOW

Chris

>It's not family but it's not grab shots of strangers, either.  One of my
>favorite students conned me into taking some senior portraits of her.  She
>was my faithful TA for a year and I couldn't say no.  Unfortunately, my TA
>for this year has found out and I will be taking his portraits soon.  So,
>feedback would be appreciated.  All were taken with an R8 or R4 in manual
>mode.  I metered on the sunlit background if there was any, then set my Metz
>flash for fill at -2 1/3 stops.  The lenses were either a 90/2.8 or an old
>Sima 100 soft focus.  Anyone remember that lens from the early 80's?  I
>found it the other day in a box and said, lets give it a try.  I didn't get
>to scan many of the photos I gave her, as she was excited to get them.  Most
>of the Sima ones were from slides I had in my R4 and was just finishing the
>roll.  She hasn't seen them yet.
>
>http://168.212.133.189/wwwpages/senior/
>
>Please feel free to pick and critisize.  I won't include a form as had been
>suggested, but if you want to return one, that is fine with me.  I am not a
>portrait photographer.  Yet is was fun doing these and I would not mind
>doing it for some of my favorite students who can't afford a "real"
>photographer.
>
>Aram
>
>This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
>destroyed in making it.
>
>Aram Langhans
>Science Teacher, Naches High School
>101 W. 5th. St / P. O. Box 159
>Naches, WA 98937
>
>"Science Rules"

You have been warned..
I am nit picking, but below are areas where I see possibilities for
improvement.
Others will certainly have different opinions, I do not believe my
comments to be more than my personal view. Here we go...
Numbers relate to your numbering

1. much too much flash (for MY taste)
5. wrong part of face in focus (ditto, applies to all other comment too)
6. background disturbing
7. too much space below face in relation to space above face
8. ditto, and photographed straight on the nose looks unnaturally large
2. too much flash
3. background disturbing
4. too much of relevant subject matter out of focus

Overall, the pictures are very pleasant, and I liked the way a new
picture came up every 10 seconds on my screen.

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or